Thursday, September 11, 2014

Vintage Cowboy/Cowgirl!


These vintage photographs from the late 1940's have been on my radar to scrap for awhile now.  I just couldn't figure out how I wanted to put them together.  The top left pic is my mom and her horse.  The photo on the bottom right is my dad in his cowboy gear.

Mom was a mid-western country girl; she lived on a farm with all kinds of animals including horses.  She loved her family vacation out west and came home loving that lifestyle and decor.

Dad lived in a small Indiana town.  He told me every Saturday he would walk to the movie theater to see the latest cowboy picture with Roy Rogers or Gene Autry.  The 30's, 40's and 50's were the decades of cowboys!  The silver screen was full of westerns to spark the imaginations of children.

I saw the sketch at Stuck?! Sketches and then remembered the paper with the Southwest theme from CTMH sitting in my stash.  I happened upon the challenge over at Sentimental Sundays where the theme is Touch of Vintage and here's the result!   I'm also sending these 'cow kids' off to Heart 2 Heart where the theme is favorite stamp.  **Note: I have the right to change my mind about my favorite stamp set at a moment's notice!  That is one unfair challenge theme!  I don't play favorites; however, I do reach for my background stamps for almost every piece.  When CTMH comes out with a new background stamp, I'm on it!  ;)

Ok, back to the 'cow kids'!  Everything here is CTMH except the circles.  The wire with jewels making the top circle is left over from Katie's wedding and the bottom circle is a stiff hemp/twine from my stash.  I made it even stiffer by rubbing it into candle wax.  This helped it hold its form to make the circle.  

The paper is from Free to be Me; it was a promotion a few months ago.  The background CS is from the Fundamentals!  This is really fun CS; as you can see, when you rub ink over it the design appears!  The more ink you put on there, the more you see it.  Very fun!

Stamp sets include:  Distressed Backgrounds, Universal Backgrounds (retired), and Timberline Scrapbooking Workshop (retired).  

Cricut cuts are from:  Southwest and CTMH Artbooking.  Stencil is from Artbooking.  I used the stencils made from Acetate Alternative to make the Sunset Arrow Bursts.  

CTMH Embellishments:  Durable Squares, Aqua Dots, Mocha Gems, and Sparkles Assortment Brown/Tan.  Homemade Glimmer Mist is made from CTMH Chocolate re-inker, water, and Create a Shade Pearl Paint (sadly retired!). 

All CTMH is from KatiesCorner.  Stamp of the month is so adorable this month; visit and check it out along with the great promotional offer!

7 comments:

  1. Love the southwest papers... they are perfect for your vintage photos! Thanks for playing along with our Stuck?! Sketches celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome papers and details for these incredible photos! Thank you for sharing in our celebration at Stuck?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Background stamps are always handy to have on hand! I love your rustic look on this and other designs you have submitted. Thanks for playing with H2H Challenges this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning page, I love all of your detail and its a great take on the sketch you used. Thank you for sharing this with us at Sentimental Sundays x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing page! I love everything western too. Great design! Thanks for joining us at Stuck?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome page, love the background work and great photos! Thanks for joining us at Stuck?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your background work is phenomenal as well as the choice of paper strips! Awesome job! Thanks for playing with us over at Stuck?! Sketches!!

    ReplyDelete